Below are some of the facts about Allosaurus dinosaur:
- Allosaurus means "different lizard." It was so named mainly because it had light vertebrae that was not much typical of a dinosaurs.
- The fossils of Allosaurus was found during the early period of Dinosaurs discovery and thus they were darling species of the paleontologist.
- They lived during the Jurassic period about 155 to 150 million years ago.
- The fossils of Allosaurus is found at different places that included Tanzania in Africa, Australia, Portugal in Europe and North America.
- The main habitat of the animal was flat floodplains, semi-arid regions, coniferous forests and fern savannas.
- At the end of 19th century the first fossil of the dinosaurs was found in the rocky mountains of Colorado. More than 60 fossils have been found to this date.
- They varied in length and ranged between 28 to 40 feet. They had weight around 2.8 tons to 5 tons.
- On the top of their head and above their eyes they had a pair of horns. Apart from this they has large head with short neck.
- Allosaurus has two short arms that were equipped with three fingers having sharp claws.
- It mainly walked on its two les and their muscular tail helped them in balancing while walking.
- Allosaurus are connected with the t. Rex with the fact that they were great-great grandfather of the latter.
- Allosaurus were carnivores and they loved to feast on herbivorous dinosaurs and various other animals.
- Their favorite food were the Stegosaurus. Even though the Stegosaurus were larger in size but with their large and sharp teeth they could easily attack the stegosaurus. The bites on the neck of a stegosaurus reveals the truth about this fact.
- On an average they had 16 teeth on each jaw. The teeth was 3 to 4 inches long and on the edges they were serrated. Their teeth when worn out were replaced by newly formed teeth and this process continued.
- Allosaurus had a lifespan of about 25 to 30 years and around 15 years of age they were totally grown up and sexually matured.
- The "Big Al" was the most important specimen of the Allosaurus and it was found recently in 1991 at Wyoming.
- It is considered that the Allosaurus were most probably the first dinosaur's movie stars. They were shown in the "the lost world" in 1921. Many believe the dinos there to be T. Rex but actually they were not.