Great Pyramid of Giza Facts
Below are some of the facts about the Great Pyramid of Giza:
- The Great Pyramid of Giza is actually a tomb. The Egyptians called their kings Pharaohs. This tomb was made for Pharaoh Khufu.
- The pyramid was made around 2550 BC, and it took 20 years to complete the project.
- There are 3 burial chambers inside the pyramid.
- The height of the pyramid when built was 147 meters. But due to extreme erosion, the pyramid’s length has dropped to 139 meters at present.
- Entrance to the Great Pyramid of Giza is through the Robber’s Tunnel.
- The pyramid is one of the 7 Wonders of the World and is the oldest structure among all.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza is the largest pyramid in Egypt.
- The pyramid is believed to be of 5.9 million tones weight, and was built using 2.9 million blocks of stone.
- This is the only pyramid in Egypt which has passages inside the structure to go up and down. The chamber of the king is downwards.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza and two other pyramids had swivel doors. Pharaoh Khufu’s father and grandfather’s pyramids had such doors. The swivel door of the Great pyramid weighted 20 tones and fitted perfectly such that none could detect it from outside or easily open it. But this door could be opened quite easily and effortlessly from the inside.
- Surprisingly the mortar used in the making of the pyramid is stronger than the stones used. And though the composition has been studied yet today such strong mortar cannot be recreated.
- This pyramid does not contain any writings, or so called Egyptian hieroglyphics inside it.
- The four sides of the pyramid are slightly concave which means curved inside. And this is the only pyramid with such slightly concave sides.
- Engineers of today would not be able to build a replica of the Great Pyramid of Giza. They lack the technological knowhow to build one exactly the same.
- Among the 3 burial chambers inside the Great pyramid, the lowest is in the bedrocks under the ground. Above that is the queen’s chamber, and above that at the highest is the king’s chamber. Khufu has no intentions of using the queen’s chamber for any of his queens. Rather he probably wanted to bury one of his statues there.
- The Great pyramid along with two other pyramids is aligned along the Orion constellation.
- The pyramid lies along a base area of 55000 square meters.
- The temperature inside the pyramid always remains constant and close to the average temperature on earth, which is 20 degrees Celsius.